Since opening in the spring of 1996, the Museum’s mission had been fulfilled far beyond the expectations of the three founders who spearheaded its development. The original five exhibits based at 54 S. Loudoun Street in Winchester, Virginia and constructed by committed community volunteers instilled in children a sense of wonder and hunger for knowledge. In response to community demand, additional galleries were added to allow room for special exhibits and activities. Teachers bring their classes to the Museum to reinforce the Virginia Standards of Learning in hands-on workshops presented by the Museum educators.
In May 2014, the Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum (SVDM) moved to a newly renovated 1950’s former furniture building off of the historic walking mall in downtown Winchester. The 19,200 sq. foot expanse of space lends a bright and welcoming environment where over 70,000 people visit annually. The new museum space has been a resounding success with 14 exhibitions, a rotating menu of weekly programs, and a retinue of partnerships and visiting educators.