Position Description: Discovery Ambassador
Hours: Part-time, up to 20 hours/week variable schedule and may include weekdays, weekends, and evenings
Benefits: As specified in the personnel policy of the Museum
Reports to: Associate Director
This combined part-time position ranges across multiple assignments located on-site and off. The part-time role of Discovery Ambassador opens and closes the museum according to museum facility and cleaning policies and welcomes and registers all museum visitors at the admissions desk. When visitor numbers swell, the Discovery Ambassador may serve on the museum floor, resetting exhibits and modeling play to museum visitors. The Discovery Ambassador may also represent the museum at off site venues for STEAM Nights and promotional marketing events. By treating the museum as more than just a destination for visitors, but rather as a valued crossroads for community engagement, the Discovery Ambassador makes each visitor’s experience exceptional for its service, hospitality, and play. Stellar interpersonal and coordination skills in support of the museum’s mission are paramount. Also essential are keen abilities to manage museum store sales and membership sales during shifts at the welcome desk.
The museum’s outreach program includes STEAM nights, which deliver 12 dynamic educational stations to schools and community centers. On occasions, the Discovery Ambassador will be asked to help pack, transport, set-up and assist at a STEAM Night. Other offsite opportunities may include assisting during offsite promotional events and activities.
As a vibrant and integral member of the staff at the Shenandoah Valley Discovery Museum, the Discovery Ambassador cultivates relationships, some of which result in new or renewing memberships. Discovery Ambassadors help to spearhead museum communications that promote attendance and membership growth. Discovery Ambassadors think strategically and help to inform fellow staff members on ways to improve the visitor experience.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Opening and closing of museum and maintaining a clean and safe environment.
- Provide consistently stellar and personalized visitor services to over 55,000 visitors each year.
- Communicate the wonder and excitement of museum programs and activities.
- Anticipate visitors’ needs and provide proactive and timely assistance.
- Cheerfully check in visitors, accept payment, and record transactions.
- Attractively organize museum store goods, and promote and execute sales.
- Participate in special events and deliver STEAM night experiences and offsite promotional events.
- Help to generate interest in museum memberships and other promotions.
- Support and provide hospitality for volunteers.
- Successfully represent the museum to all constituencies.
- Participate in departmental meetings and occasional staff meetings and special events.
- Contribute to a culture of open communication and spirited collaboration among all members of the museum staff, board, and volunteers.
- Provide calm direction and leadership during busy, stressful or safety issues.
- Other duties and responsibilities as required.
Physical Demand & Work Environment:
Travel to promotional venues and special events can occupy work hours. Work may at times include lifting/ moving objects weighing up to 50 lbs. and climbing ladders and step stools. This active, hands-on working environment is dependent on a strong team orientation, a high level of personal motivation, excellent communication and public relations skills, and the ability to create a positive visitor and member experience.
- Demonstrated competency in client services.
- Committed to serving the educational needs of a diverse population.
- Ability to cultivate and nurture relationships with visitors, volunteers and museum members.
- Available variable weekdays, nights and weekends.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel; preferred experience with QuickBooks.
- Strong interpersonal skills interacting with the public in a professional and courteous manner, which reflects favorably on the museum. Outgoing, enjoys people!
- Excellent organizational and mathematical skills.
- Ability to attractively describe and actively promote museum programs.
- Detail oriented, able to multi-task and prioritize to fulfill customer needs.
- Ability to interact successfully with staff and volunteers, working collaboratively to create an efficient, enjoyable, and productive work environment.
- Fun-loving spirit with an affinity for swarms of children.
- Mission-driven, energetic, collaborative, creative, adaptive and flexible.
Evaluations: The Associate Director will conduct evaluations after the first six months and, thereafter, annually early in the calendar year.
Send letter of interest, resume and museum application to Business@DiscoveryMuseum.net
*Please direct questions regarding the post to 540-722-2020 extensions 100, 101,or 103